WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

I am so pleased that you have stopped by for a visit. I hope you will enjoy reading my book reviews. If you would be interested in reviewing books on your own blog, check out the links for litfuse and Booksneeze.



Tuesday, August 17, 2010

AMISH PROVERBS - Words of Wisdom from the Simple Life by Suzanne Woods Fisher


"Simplify your life with Amish wisdom. Through firsthand research and personal relationships, Suzanne Woods Fisher has collected more than 200 proverbs that uncover the rich heritage, folklore, faith, vlaues, history, and essence of the Plain People." (Back cover copy)
With so much wisdom contained in a small book, how does one choose a favourite? As I read this delightful book and savoured the photography, I found many proverbs which speak to my life and circumstances. But one stands out. It is found on page 111. "Contentment is not getting what we want but being satisfied with what we have." I find that challenging personally, but am encouraged that the apostle Paul had the same struggle. He had to LEARN to be content. (Philippians 4:11,12) In an age when people are continually striving for more, how good it is to be thankful for what we have, and to show our appreciation to the One from Whom comes every good and perfect gift.

Although I am not Amish, I have my own favourite proverbs. One is "Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape." This was on a plague on my firend's desk, and I have taken it to heart, quoting it on many occasions!

"Book has been provided courtesy of baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available now at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."

No comments:

Post a Comment