WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

I am so pleased that you have stopped by for a visit. I hope you will enjoy reading my book reviews. If you would be interested in reviewing books on your own blog, check out the links for litfuse and Booksneeze.



Friday, May 28, 2010

Musings About Reading

     Recently, I've been thinking about how we read fiction.  Some quickly read a book.  They can't wait to see how the novel concludes.  They are often heard to say, "I just couldn't put it down" or "I read it late into the night." Others savour the book, reading slowly to "make it last."  These readers don't want the book to end. There is no right or wrong way to read a book.  These are preferences.      Personally, I tend to savour thoughtful, well-written books.  Perhaps that is because I am able to understand more clearly from the point of view of the author.  Each book is a labour of love.  Much time and energy is put into the writing, and, if it is an historical novel, countless hours are also spent in research.  Much revision and editing is involved, and often extensive re-writing is required.  In the editing process, words, sentences, paragraphs and even etnire chapters are cut.  What remains in the finished manuscript is important.  Every word, nuance, turn of the phrase is there for a reason. 
     My mother used to say that it took a long time to make a pie, and then it was devoured within five minutes!  I liken this to reading a book quickly.  If you are among the "can't put it down" readers, might I suggest that you go back and re-read the book, looking for details you may have missed the first time through?  I know of readers who have re-read a book numerous times, gleaning something new each time.  Let's take the time to slow down and savour the books we read.  We owe that to our faithful authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment